Are you concerned that your fussy-eater will go hungry and eventually suffer from malnutrition? There are a variety of reasons pets turn their noses up during mealtimes. Take note that a sudden change in your pet’s eating habits should be brought to the attention of your vet. While there are no quick fixes to the problem, here are some tips to encourage your fussy eater to finish his meal.
- Stay with your pet once you offer his food
- Vocal reassurance and some petting may all be that’s necessary to encourage eating
- Mix canned pet food to your pet’s usual food to increase palatability
- Warm your pet’s food for a few seconds (about 6-10) in the microwave because it can enhance the aroma and improve palatability.
- Herbs such as basil, oregano, or parsley can be mixed with dog food to boost palatability
- Try cleaning your cat’s nose to improve his ability to smell the food.
- Try a different type of food. If your kitty has been eating kibbles, try canned premium food.
- Meals should be eaten in an environment that is free from household traffic, away from other pet health tips or other distractions. The place must be quiet and comfortable.