What To Do If Your Dog Ate Chocolate – Watching For Signs of Poisoning and Other Complications

If your dog has ingested chocolate, you should closely monitor your pet for any symptoms of toxicity and other complications. You should also have an idea what type of chocolate your dog ate and how much was consumed. Take note that the darker and more bitter the chocolate is, the higher is the risk for toxicity.

When referring to toxicity charts, keep in mind that the figures you find there are averages; there is still a need to keep a close eye on your pet even if the amount he ate was not high enough to cause toxicity according to the toxicity chart.

Dogs don’t always show the same response to chocolate consumption. Some show only mild symptoms even after consuming relatively large amounts, while others develop severe reactions to chocolate even after ingesting small amounts.

Chocolates also contain a lot of fat and sugar which are also important causes of gastrointestinal problems and pancreatitis. Ingesting chocolate or candy wrappers can also increase the dog’s risk for obstruction of the gastrointestinal passage. Consult your pets’ health care here.

what-to-do-if-your-dog-ate-chocolate-watching-for-signs-of-poisoning-and-other-complications

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s